Thursday, September 6, 2007

Reflection

Tension can run high at my house. Usually, it's outside factors that flare it up. You know, the kids have destroyed something that wasn't intended for them to play with in the first place, it starts raining during our move and our stuff gets wet...and the list goes on. While some incidents are avoidable, others are completely out of our control. So why get so worked up?

I've always tried to remember the saying "this too shall pass," and know that whatever difficult/trying time I encounter will eventually pass. I think the following quote that came in an email devotional today really puts it better than "this too shall pass."

"The reality is that authentic Christianity is not something that avoids the difficulties of life, sweeping them under the rug of faith. Real Christianity is something that embraces life as it is – with all its difficulties and struggles – seeing that what is, is not what will always be, that things can change."

Being Christian doesn't grant "immunity" from life's challenges...but as Christians we can find comfort in knowing that God will not give us anything we cannot handle, and difficult times "are what they are"...but will not always be...because life changes by the second.

As a mom, I can apply this to my daily trials - even though they aren't what some would consider major difficulties. When the kids seem to have accident after accident, or talk so much I find it irritating...I need to remember that this stage in life will not always be. My girls will not be little for long. Soon the small accidents around the house will become fewer - and it'll be larger accidents involving cars or sports that I'll worry about. Soon they will be teenagers and I'll long for the days when they were little...telling me every intricate detail about their day and talking just to talk. These times "are what they are" and as a mom I need to let every detail soak in and enjoy it rather than let the small things build tension....because life changes by the second, and someday my little girls won't be so little. Sniff, sniff.

No comments: